If you’ve trained for ANY sort of athletic event you know the countless hours that are poured into training in order to
survive succeed during the main event. What do you do to stay entertained and not bore yourself into giving up? I’ve been thinking about what sort of “mind games” I put myself through and wanted to compile some of my fav tips/suggestions for ya
During a recent 2500 yard swim (long for me you seasoned triathletes!) I had a ton of time to think. Something about “being by yourself” in a pool for 50 laps really gets a person reflecting. The first 5-10 are always about warming up, focusing on form, and just prepping yourself to complete all those laps you said you would when ya popped in the pool.
The next 11-25 were a blur. Which got me thinking more about 26. Wow – could each lap reflect my life? BOKAY! I went through the first part of my life in a daze. Pushing myself, getting involved in everything I could. Who was I? Who am I? What am I going to be? What will my future entail? Sorry – I’m a Virgo and I kinda think – a lot.
Why not reflect on life’s past and future decisions during each lap of this triathlon training experience? Here we go…
Come 27ish it all began. I had an inkling of what I wanted out of life. Spent the next few years completely re-vamping my direction in life. It helped that I was forced to as I was let go from my corporate software sales job. Thank goodness as this helped me pinpoint and pursue my main passions – social media and fitness.
29. Holy crap I’m almost 30. Am I happy where I’m at? I mean 30 is a milestone and I should be freaking the F out. Most other of my friends are settled down. Married, kids…well at least have a consistent boyfriend by golley. Welp – not me. I suppose I might’ve had a boyfriend at the time but nothing long-term that was going to last the testament of time (a whole nother blog post people).
30. Got my shit together. So I thought. Absolutely on the right track in life thought and that’s all we can ask. I had landed an amazing gig in social media and was teaching group fitness at three different studios. Something was still missing…
31. Oh that’s my age! Made some serious moves. Proud of you girl. Not only did I physically move out of my homestate of Minnesota but I made the decision to leave the corporate, cubicle, comfortable world that I was used to. Huge decision. Peace out guaranteed money, benefits, and schedule. Hello world of inconsistencies – and happiness. I have never experienced this kind of independence. Have never lived outside of Minnesota. Have never lived more than 2.5 hours away from my amazing parents. How do I get my car fixed? And file taxes? Where’s my dentist? And Trader Joe’s?? F it. I’ll figure it out.
32. Anticipating the next year of my life. What do I want? What will I achieve? The possibilities are endless and I know I can DO this! Ah the excitement!
33-35. Yes babe – I see so many good things in your future. You just need to GO for them. Get organized, make connections, and live your life how you always dreamed! Travel. Relax. Love.
36-39. Gosh girl. When did this happen? You’re kinda almost 40! But hot damn. You are gonna be the most motivated almost-40 person out there! So freaking pumped for all you’re gonna do. Head on your shoulders, know what you want/don’t want, and I know you’ll be experiencing things your 20-something self would never even think of.
40. Fontana lookin fab in the 40s! All I could think of haaaaaa. But for real. I think I’m gonna be like a good red wine. Betta and betta with age 😉 watch for me!
41-49. Seriously. So freaking impressed with how far you came. From the goofy, clueless teen. To the 20something party girl, to the 30something life changing Coloradian, to now. I love you/me. I thoroughly know who I am. I’ve overcame obstacles. I’m ready for anything life has to blast my way. Bring it.
50. Pure triumph. Can we just throw the biggest party ever? Never thought I would swim this many laps in my life let-alone reflect on each year it took to get me here. Whew. I’m pooped. Um heyyy where’s the cab? (those who know me well – am I referring to a taxi or to a full-bodied red?).
I challenge you to try this lil game out. With every lap truly reflect back and forward to that corresponding age. Brings up memories and gets you pumped for future opportunities. And passes that damn time along!
Enough of that swimming and age life crap. On to the second sport of triathlon – biking! How do YOU stay entertained during a 3+ hour bike ride?!
I’ve turned to bomb-ass podcasts. Not only am I intrigued and motivated…but I also learn some crap as I’m pedaling along!
A few of my favs:
Show your bike some love by taking some sweet photos of it. It’s like Glamourshots – for bikes! HA.
Rock Your Pride!
Wear whatever you are proud of to give you a lil confidence boost! Why do you think costume races are the BEST?!
Another thing you can do during long rides…make some friends! HA
Indoor Trainer Sessions
Or if it’s a long training ride inside – invite a friend to join, watch movies, take sweet GoPro footage, Snapchat, and try out Facebook live!
Along with motivating podcasts, music can really help pass the time. There are so many awesome playlists out there or you can create your own custom one. I use Spotify and pay less than $10/month so you do NOT need to listen to the commercials people! I just discovered a new playlist called “Independent Ladies” and I freaking love it. It fits with my lifestyle and mood right now. Feeling so free and independent and most every song on there invigorates and pumped me up!
Make sure to track your results and celebrate your progress! I use both apps Endomondo and Strava as well as my Garmin watch. Possibilities are endless but I love all of these three options!
Smile. Sing. Dance. Jump. Just simply – have fun! Amazing how time flies by when you’re having fun – right?!
Hope you enjoyed these triathlon training entertainment ideas!! Please remember to always reward yourself and to reflect back and acknowledge all your hard work. At the end of the day we do this for FUN and never forget that! Proud of you…and me!!