The main reason I haven’t blogged in a bajillion days – it’s just TOO much.
Technology. Spam. Social media. Trolls. Notifications. Friend requests. Bots. Messages. Posting.
Sometimes it’s just TOO much! Even for those who love social media (ahem – me). Does anyone else feel the mayhem that has intensified in the past few years??
On a recent run I was listening to The Tony Robbins Podcast episode “Obsessions, Addictions, and Compulsions” with Adam Alter (who has listened to it??). Wow it got me pumped up to complete this blog post as I’ve been thinking about it for awhile now.
As soon as I was done with my run I started jotting down a few things I took away:
- Fitness trackers are making people workout beyond their means. I can totally attest to this. Hitting daily steps (was never even a THOUGHT growing up). Making sure to hit a specific distance, pace, time, etc. Ok I don’t think I’m as extreme as others. Which actually worries me for humanity…
- People are on average checking their social media for 3-4 hours/day. Guilty.
- The average time it takes for someone to open a new email is 6 seconds. Um freaking WHAT?! But when I think about that it’s totally true. If you get notifications to your phone and it’s a semi-important email you know you’re checkin that shiz right away. But we don’t necessarily respond immediately as we get distracted with other things. This ends up doubling our work and reducing our productivity in half. We hate open loops – open tasks nag at us so the whole email notification idea is detrimental.
This podcast made me intrigued to learn more about this topic. Will definitely be purchasing Adam’s new book – “Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked“.
THE NEGATIVE – Feels out of our control!
- Instagram comments – What % of these are just plain bogus these days? And please tell me what is with the multiple comments wanting me to rep a clothing line? I mean I’m pretty sweet but I’m not quite the model-type to be sought after so hard by hundreds of apparel companies! Aaand I’m not even QUITE sure what they’re asking (in English)…
- Facebook friend requests – Wowza has this picked up. Freakin weirdos askin to be my friend way too often. What are they benefiting from?? Besides a straight up “Delete Request”. How do YOU approach this?
- Email spam – I swear I sign up for one thing that says “promise we won’t spam you”…and then what happens? SPAM. And not the delicious salty kind found in my fav musubi.
- LinkedIn messages – No, sorry – I do not wish to join your random ass networking group. It is not relevant to me in the slightest. Do your homework before mass blasting irrelevant professionals.
- Multiple message platforms – Between text, voicemail, email (multiple accounts), Instagram messages/comments, Facebook messages/comments, Snapchat, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, YouTube, Strava, etc – I just can’t seem to get a thing done. Pissing people off left and right by not getting back to them in a timely manner or not seeing one of my best friend’s posts. Like whaaat? CALL me IRL if it’s urgent. I miss human interaction and sorry I’m not sorry I can’t keep up with this technology cluster! When I’m overwhelmed I choose to unplug. Which I did. Breathe.
- Reality vs. Virtual – Anyone else a little sad at the fact that you’ve seen one of your “closest” friends get engaged or have their baby on social media? I mean wow talk about a reality check. Either you are not as close with them as you thought or they are too darn lazy and excited about sharing the happy news with the world as opposed to those closest to them. Time to reevaluate my friendships I guess
- Filters – Gosh can we talk about a confidence blow? Yes, I would love to look like a doe-eyed angel dear IRL but it’s just not happening. This sets the wrong expectations of poor young gals growing up. We thought WE had it bad…
THE POSITIVE – What can we do??
- Always put your phone on “do not disturb” while sleeping.
- Unsubscribe to emails – This has been a game changer for me as I am a person who highly enjoys a clean inbox. Feel me?
- Reject unknown Facebook friends – Always helps to see how many mutual friends you have in common but go a little deeper as your friends may be falling for this bogus request too.
- Head out on a roadtrip where you KNOW there’s no service.
- Company ideas from the podcast mentioned above:
- From 6pm-8am their email is shut off. Allows employees to focus on life outside of work as it’s impossible to “bring it home”.
- Emails are deleted when you’re on vacation. Never feel like you’re “never on vacation” again.
- At 6pm the desks float to the ceiling and the office turns into a yoga studio. SIGN ME UP!
- Unplugging, tech cleansing, and prioritizing have been mental life savers for me lately.
Through all this – I missed this. I missed writing my thoughts out. I wished sharing fitness and adventure stories. I missed YOU guys! I looove hearing from you and motivating others in any way I can.
What do you need from me? How can I help? What kinds of posts are you favorite? Any adventures you want to hear about or workouts you want to learn? REACH OUT! Comment, message me…I’m around. I always get back to everyone (cept the creepos) – just takes time sometimes. If you’re patient with me I know we can do big things!!