Interested in running a half marathon? TRUST ME–you can do it! All it takes is motivation and commitment…maybe a lil sweat too
I was always an athlete growing up but never considered myself a runner (borrriiiing, right?!). Welp I find myself addicted now. Got talked into running the Lake Minnetonka Half in Spring 2011 and this year’s run will be my 6th half mara. This event also spiraled my athletic event obsession muahaha.
Back to the half mara. Yes, it involves a committed training schedule but is definitely not as daunting as a full mara. I do one long run a week, a medium run and a few smaller runs. You can also tie in other training (I also play soccer, elliptical, yoga, strength training, biking, bootcamp, snowboard–really anything else to stay active). REST DAYS are essential as well. You should not be kicking your butt every day. You need time to heal up and just stretch it out!
Not only is there a “running/training” commitment but also a commitment to a healthier lifestyle. I can’t tell you how many fun things I’ve been asked to do that I have had to turn down because of training. I feel as though having something to strive for helps keep me on track to a healthier way of life. And that is when I am at my best
I have found Hal Higdon to have the best training advice for half marathons. I am currently on week 9 of this schedule and have stuck by it! Instead
of the sprint workouts on Wednesdays I play soccer. Same thing right?!
Here is a printer-friendly version of the schedule if you want to give it a try!
Check out the training guide and schedule for your skill level:
Ready to do a half marathon?! Here are a few I’ve done in the past:
– Lake Minnetonka Half – Beautiful, scenic run that starts in Wayzata and ends in Excelsior. It is a hilly one so be sure to do some hill runs!
– Minnesota Half – Did not enjoy this one as it was in August and superrrrrr HOT!
– Team Ortho Monster Dash – Has to be one of my favs! So fun to dress in costume and “oh wait was that a hot dog that just passed me?! FASTER!”
– Team Ortho Minneapolis Half – Did this one on a bum ankle but it was fun and there was beer after (much needed, ouchies)
– Team Ortho Women Rock Half – Did not get to do this one b/c of the recurring ankle injury, but who doesn’t like chocolate, wine, and sexy firemen? Sign ME up!!
Would love to hear about other fun half marathons that YOU know about! I hope I have inspired at least one person to CONSIDER a half mara. As I said in the beginning — you can do it with the right commitment and motivation. In the words of Nike…”Just DO It!”