Would you rather be paid well and miserable or jobless and blissfully happy? I believe our society struggles with this question. Yes, having a career is extremely important for so many reasons. This I would never dispute. But if you were given a chance to “reboot” your life…would you choose the exact same career path or perhaps something different? Agreed–beggars can’t be choosers and easier than it looks, yada yada…but an attempt at TRYing a new path may just be worth it in the long-haul.
I am thankful every day for the direction my life is headed. I have made SO many lifestyle changes and could not be more proud of myself. Yes, I get asked multiple times on a daily basis if I have gotten a job yet. Every time I hear this question I cringe a little bit knowing that a part of me is FAILing when I have to simply say, “no”. Friends–I KNOW you care about me and really–THANK YOU for asking for updates. But remember who I am. You WILL know as soon as I have a job. I make no secret about my life haha.
On the other hand, I have been the opposite of lazy and have taken numerous steps in the right direction for ME. Of course I’ve had my lazy pool days and tennis, golf, running, biking…yeah ok it has not been the worst of times. But HOW OFTEN IN YOUR LIFE CAN YOU DOOOO THAT?! I am taking full advantage of this time while I set myself on the right path.
For those of you that still think I’m being lazy and destroying my life for not having a career yet, I’d like to list out what I’ve actually done with this time:
– Started and continue this very same blog. I haven’t put as much time in to this as I would like but feel I have laid a decent foundation to continue with it. I have found sitting at a coffee shop or out by the pool to be great times to write.
– Became an Ambassador for Life Time’s Esprit de She event series. Help promote super fun and inspirational athletic events for women. Still time to sign up for the upcoming 50th and France 5k. It’s a “ladies night out” event on a Thurs eve and should be super fun! Use code EDS96 when checking out.
– Revamped my resume a million times. Networking like a mad woman. Fine-tuning my interview skills.
– Color-coded my closet with the help of my amazing mom
– Ran/biked a duathlon and biked the MS150 while raising $ for MS. Had time to truly train for these events to prepare my body.
– Started interning/volunteering at a local non-profit. I am running their social media and helping with email marketing. I have learned new automation solutions that I was not familiar with before. I have met inspirational volunteers that truly help make a difference in the community.
– Spent quality time at our family cabin = happy place.
– I get to have lunch with my mom and dad during the week!
– Visited one of my best friend’s in Austin, Texas. Have never been to Texas and fell in love with this particular city. Spent quality time with her and her amazing boyfriend and two new adorable puppies. Sipped smoothies at the pool, dipped my toes in the ocean, finished 2.5 books, blogged, took photos, ate yummy food, ran and explored the river.
– Picked up tennis and golf again. Ok–so I never grew up playing either of these but they are two sports that I have SOOO much fun doing. It has been a blast being able to pick these back up.
– Read “career books”. On top of my loves for James Patterson and John Sandford books I have also picked up helpful career-focused books at the library. These include “Mobile Marketing”, “Google Blogger for Dummies” (because I full admit I am CLUELESS), “Lean In”, and my personal fav “Stand Out Social Marketing”. I am seriously a GEEK about this book. You are able to use #StandOut and converse with others. The author of the book is awesome and has even been responding to me. There are also highlighted words throughout the text that you can type in to his blog for even more detailed info. I am truly soaking this book in and have learned a ridiculous amount. Will DEFINITELY be purchasing this one.
– Spent a full day at the pool with one of my best friend’s in town temporarily from London. Our pool is pretty vacant during the week (obvi) so it was nice to have quality sun time with her.
– Caught up on my latest TV obsessions: Game of Thrones, Orange is the New Black, 24, Mad Men.
– Have looked in to taking swimming lessons to be able to shave serious minutes off of a triathlon.
– Attended networking events like my second Social Media Breakfast. Made many wonderful new connections. Reunited with some old co-workers. Was re-motivated by a true social media evangelist.
– Started Life Time Academy to teach group fitness classes. Rekindled with an old friend who absolutely inspires me to lead a healthier lifestyle and to have a blast doing it!
– Taking group fitness classes. As a part of our “homework” we need to attend classes and do an evaluation on them. For example, I took Zumba today for the first time and my cheeks still hurt from smiling!! Mollie is the instructor and she is amazing! She made me feel right at home and kept us laughing and energized the whole time. She teaches a bunch of different classes and has SO much fun doing it! Check out her Facebook group page “Mollie Group Fit” for more info!!
– Started cleaning studios at CorePower Yoga 3 hours/week for a free membership. Have already met amazing people and feel at home.
– Planning to take Yoga Sculpt Teacher Training starting in Sept. Made a friend at my apartment complex that teaches free yoga for us and she has inspired me to pursue this. Another friend in Chicago is also planning to start in the Fall so it will be fun to keep each other motivated!
– Next I plan on taking various certifications to help me out with my desired career path. A few include SEO, Google Analytics, Google AdWords, more to come. Suggestions??
– I will be able to watch team USA destroy Germany tomorrow live for the World Cup!!
I know I will truly look back at this time of personal and professional reflection and have absolutely no regrets. This blog post was in NO way meant to brag about my awesome life. I simply love the direction my life is headed so SUE me for being a happy, jobless lady
I welcome all thoughts.